Monday, November 26, 2007

postscript

I’ve decided to keep my focus on analyzing the characteristics of suburbanites, but I want to further develop this analysis by linking their character to their interactions with Edward. In particular, I plan on arguing that the exploitation (and commodification) of Edward’s haircutting/tree-trimming/etc. abilities suggest the uniformly egotistical and materialistic nature of suburban dwellers. As I was watching the movie over break, I recognized a pattern in regards to the use of Edward’s talents for practical means. Some key scenes that I will use for my argument are:
A. Joyce opening a salon for Edward; essentially she helps him to sell his art
B. Kim and boyfriend manipulate Edward to break into a house to get money to buy a new car
C. The general replacement of machinery and tools with Edward’s hands in everyday house chores and such – devalues his artistry

From my synthesis essay, I also want to expand upon the polarizing effect suburbia has on an individual. While one feels the obligation to conform and become indistinguishable from everyone else, he also gains a sense of belonging by sacrificing his individuality. In a way, it can be argued that Edward may actually be better off living among the suburbanites because he will at least have companionship.

I realize that the aforementioned points are contradicting, but I hope that I can somehow incorporate the latter to complement my central argument. Until I decide what to do, all suggestions are welcomed.

2 comments:

Ms Bates said...

Ah! These are interesting contradictions. Is there a particular scene that engages with and tries to resolve the contradiction. The film is a comedy, so there might be some happy scene that ties things together--even if you want to show that the knot slips a little.

Angie Gao said...

I realize this is an older post, but I haven't commented much on the blogs-- so I'll add my two cents now.

Having contradicting points can be difficult to work with, but I find that it makes for a better integrated paper if you can recall earlier paragraphs in the latter half of your argument. Each one of my paragraphs was a separate argument before I found connecting points between them. Kind of like the difference between having a long list of baking ingredients in front of you and having a cake.